Like many nonprofits, we have fundraising events and appeals. However, as part of Penn State University, we are often asked why we need to raise money, doesn’t Penn State fund us? Our financial relationship with Penn State is very unique and we think OLLI members should understand where our income comes from.
OLLI at Penn State is funded through membership dues, course fees, a partnership between the Bernard Osher Foundation and Penn State, and donations. We receive no state-appropriated support. Our committed partner, Penn State York, provides office and classroom space, development, marketing, and other in-kind support. Specifically,
- Membership dues and course fees are approximately 65 percent of our income.
- The return from our Osher Foundation endowment supports both OLLI at University Park and OLLI at York. It is approximately 20 percent of our income.
- Donations given during registration, membership renewal and annual fundraising campaigns are approximately 15 percent of our income.
If you donate, your contribution will only be used to support OLLI at Penn State York and will help reach the following goals:
- Maintain low membership and course fees
- Increase and enhance educational programs
- Assure adequate staffing, space, equipment and publicity for programming
- Special events
- Meet current expenses not met by membership fees
- Increase our financial stability and sustainability
As a nonprofit organization, your donations are 100 percent tax deductible. A gift of any size is a gift of knowledge and an investment in the future of lifelong learning.
OLLI members may donate with a credit card when registering for classes online. Members and friends who wish to donate by check may do so by making your check payable to Penn State, and writing OLLI York in the memo line. Please send checks to OLLI at Penn State York, 1031 Edgecomb Avenue, York PA 17403.